Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Billy Joel, ABBA or Bruce Springsteen

Seems my simple trivia question was not so simple. I asked what artist and song was on the first CD. I thought it was Bruce Spingsteen, based upon hearing the same question and this answer on the radio, but I cannot find any confirmation. One comment said it was ABBA, but then noted "he was not from New Jersey," suggesting the comment came from someone who knows little about ABBA and who simply looked it up on line, a rules violation. Yes ABBA is not from New Jersey, but it is a group, not a "he." Another has suggested Billy Joel, who is much closer to New Jersey, as in across the river, but still not who I thought when I wrote the question.

So where is the answer to this mystery? It turns out that the truth seems to be in the nature of the question. The first pressed CD, from what I can determine, was ABBA with The Visitor, but it was not released. This was for experimental purposes. The first commercially "released" CD was Billy Joel 52nd Street. My question was not too clear on which I was asking, so drinks to both. I know who voted for Billy Joel, but not ABBA. Catch you later anonymous.

Volcker Moment

Not sure if this is accurate, but at least one commentator noted that the market rise today was due to Obama naming Volcker as head of his new White House Economic Panel. I can appreciate that reaction. I have watched a number of Paul Volcker speeches over the past few months and he seems quite in touch with the current crisis. Moreover, he will do what he considers the correct direction even when he is going against the tide. That worked well for him in fighting inflation in the 1980s and will likely serve him well again in the current crisis. To me, this is Obama's best pick yet.

Otherwise, not a lot of good news to explain the market today. Still, up is better than down, so I will take it.

No comments: