Sunday, March 15, 2009

What Will Tomorrow Bring?

I have written here about what I foresee as the new reality. We are beyond using our homes as piggy-banks, beyond living off credit cards, beyond spending more than we make and beyond being totally stupid. We are being forced to come back to reality. In many respects, this is a good thing.

At the risk of dating myself, let me discuss my childhood. As a kid, I had very few toys; just a banana seat bike, a pogo stick, a maple tree in the front yard and a forest up the street. These were my tools for fun. Yes, we had a black and white TV, but we only had 3 or 4 channels, so it was not a major source of entertainment. Entertainment in my day was making a fort in the woods, swinging from a vine, jumping a brook or catching a red-faced turtle (we lived over the hill from a wild strawberry patch and turtles love strawberries). I loved my childhood and it had none of the things our kids seem to require today.

Kids aside, we can do with less. I was looking at getting a new TV this weekend and decided my old one will do for now. I know prices are good, but I also know that I can enjoy my current TV even though it has certain problems. We will survive. TV aside, there are more important things.

Today, I played basketball and baseball with my daughter. She is a great player. And we took a hike with our dog and my daughter rode her bike. No TV, no Internet, no modern stuff - just a walk (bike ride) down the road. We had a great time.

I realize the irony of me doing this post to my computer on my simplistic childhood, but the point is that the world - due to the recession - is changing. In the U.S. we are reverting to a less expensive more frugal time. The reality is that we need to stay here and get used to it. I, for one, am looking forward to building a fort in the forest with my daughter. Recessions bring the good and the bad. I am fortunate to have a home, food and all the necessities. For those that do not, I wish you the best. I truly do.


Disclosure: None

No comments: