Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Jones Factor

I have read a lot recently but have not read anything on the potential impact of this idiot Terry Jones with a church in Florida burning the Koran (Quran if you prefer) on the economies of the world. Now I am not expecting an immediate response economically but this jerk could easily cause a massive uptick in religious and political tensions, which last I checked is not good for economies. Last thing we need here is more troops going into the Middle East because some idiot in Florida wanted to make a name for himself. But it can happen and it can have a high cost - on many levels - to many countries, in terms of lives, in terms of folks having to serve time away from home, in terms of kids missing their mom or dad and in economic terms. Personally, the economic terms are the lowest consequence on my list but they are still there.

Even more personally, I vote for the U.S. making an exception, drafting the bastard Jones and sending his ass to Iraq. He wants to take a stand, let him do it next to those risking their lives. Indeed, better yet, he says he wants us to "stand up, confront terrorism," then give him and all those that support him the opportunity to go to Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan or the "evil" country of their choice with guns and let them "stand up" to terrorism personally and on their own. That should solve the issue. It is easy to sit behind a desk in Gainesville, FL, pontificate about standing up and burn some books for attention; it is different to actually put your life on the line for your country every day. I apologize for the less than PG fodder, which I truly do try to avoid, but this jerk has me really pissed off.

Rage aside, I return to the thought that this headline seeking A-hole will lead to a possible ignition of global repercussions, but nothing I have read is talking about this. As Taleb might say, this is in the fat tail of unexpected consequences. We will see, perhaps in as little as two days.

P.S. I wish all these generals and politicians would stop making speeches on how terrible the whole Quran burning thing is and simply call Jones and try to convince him to lay off. He is obviously just doing it for the publicity and headlines about Obama saying this, Hillary saying that, one general saying this and another general saying that, are only fueling the flames here. Note, I recognize the bit of irony in me doing a blog post on this and then saying folks should stop building press over it, but I tend to think the three of four people who read this post will not give Terry Jones a big head.

P.S.S. I read an Obama interview where he said Jones is causing a recruitment bonanza for al Qaeda but also noted there is nothing legally we can do about it because it is First Amendment protected free speech. Now I am a big fan of the Constitution and I know religious and political speech are in highly protected categories, but there are still limits. Remeber the whole "you cannot shout 'fire!' in a crowded theater" thingy? Well, you cannot hide behind the First Amendment and incite violence or support terrorists. I know Jones is not intending to support terrorists, but it is pretty blatant that he is doing precisely that. I doubt there is any one thing a Taliban leader could do to inspire so many to join his cause moreso than what Jones is doing. So yes, Jones is supporting terrorism. And he will incite people to commit murder. I do not view this as a First Amendment protected act.

Disclosures: None.

1 comment:

ruralcounsel said...

Think of Jones as someone bringing existing tensions to the surface. He's removing an information asymmetry.

If the markets and economies aren't already factoring these tensions in, they should.

Life is messy and contentious. Holding hands and singing Kumbayaa doesn't change that. Get your head out of the sand.