Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The World of a Blogger

I was looking around for something of interest to post and not a lot of much interest. Sure Obama announced mortgage support that has my head swimming on how it might work. For it to work you need to get the message to those that qualify that they should apply and I consider that unlikely. I know from experience that the government is expert at creating programs that are incapable of being understood by those that would benefit, so unless some support system pops up to help them, it will be useless.

And I read other snippets here and there today but nothing too spectacular. Admittedly, after some of the incredible economic happenings of the past year, it takes a lot to get ones attention. News that two years ago would have been front page news is now (yawn) boring. And so I have decided to go a bit off agenda for tonight and talk about my experience (all these three or so months) as a blogger.

Initially, there was a lot of trepidation. Do I know enough to blog (no); do I know my links to be right (no); do I have topics that interest people (not always); do I think what I am saying will add to the equation (probably not); can I take negative comments (yes); can I take positive comments (definitely yes); am I opening myself up to being sued (I hope not). All this and more obsesses your thinking when you blog.

And then you deal with the comments. Some positive, some negative, some ignorant, some just seeking attention, but some very informative - to me and others, which is most appreciated.

The blog, if you want to do it right, also carries a fair amount of responsibility. You want to provide timely, accurate and interesting posts. You want to have posts daily if possible because it you skip a day or two some people may stop coming back. Believe me, there is a noticeable change in hits between when you have had a few consecutive good posts and when you have not. People forget you fast. Keeping up with the comments and occasionally responding is also a responsibility. Good questions deserve a response.

Overall, I must say my blogging experience has to date been a rewarding one. I have experienced a world I did not know and am learning a lot. It has brought me exposure to new worlds, made me a contributor to a major financial site and gotten me quoted by some I respect. Not a bad few months.

I will try to improve upon this in coming months. I am reading up on the topics upon which I blog and looking forward to hopefully posting better, more informative blogs going forward. To those that have followed me, thank you. To the rest, well thank you as well. (There are a few to which this thank you does not apply and you know who you are.)

And a special shout out to Chris and Cody, my biggest supports. You guys have been very much appreciated.

Disclosures: None.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I love you too man.